- Be transparent about the library’s specific funding sources, including tax revenue, donations and fines, and services that the library provides to foster better understanding of how public funds benefit the community. Publishing an annual report, monthly updates, and other regular reports can build this public awareness.
- Develop and implement procedures to receive and promptly respond to comments, suggestions, and feedback from the community in order to increase customer satisfaction and protect and improve the library’s image. When possible, refine and improve services based on patron feedback.
- Communicate a positive image of the library and its services while remaining receptive to diverse opinions and suggestions.
- Communicate the library’s brand, value, and impact in the community in print, the media, and online to actively position the library as an essential service.
- Maintain a current website with promotional messages, program and resource news, and easy access to the library’s print and digital collections.
- Use social media to promote programs, library resources, and services to increase community engagement with the library.
- Create a communications procedures and protocols manual to respond to community crises or disasters, including plans with emergency agencies to leverage the library as a communications hub during and immediately after a disaster.
Marketing and Advocacy Checklist – FUTURE-FOCUSED
- Develop, adopt, and implement a comprehensive communications, marketing, and public relations plan that addresses and reflects community interests, opportunities, and needs.
- Allocate funds to support the communications, marketing, and public relations plan. This may include a dedicated budget for advertising (print and digital), promotional materials, support, and staffing for community events, marketing supplies, and, when possible, a communications staff member.
- Participate in statewide or national campaigns that seek to increase public awareness of libraries.
- Work with local businesses and organizations to cross-promote services and community benefits.
All Marketing Overview Training Video
Back to all Standards